Vale-UQ Geomicrobiology Laboratory
Our Vale-UQ Geomicrobiology Laboratory was established in 2014.
Students and researchers use it primarily to study microbial communities and microbial metal extraction processes.
The facility spans two areas within the Richards Building (Building 5) and consists of a large laboratory dedicated to experimental work and a second smaller space for microscopy and storage.
It is fully equipped for culturing microbes and performing in vitro experimental work. Our equipment includes:
- standard glassware for culturing
- refrigerator/freezer for keeping samples/media/reagents in cold storage
- two microscopes (one fitted with Nikon camera for thin section photography)
- a WiseVen oven for drying glassware.
For more details about each piece of equipment, scroll down to the table below.
To discuss your requirements, email the Laboratory Manager.
Coy anaerobic chamber
- For handling and culturing organisms in an anaerobic (oxygen free) environment
- Standard fume cupboard with nitrogen, hydrogen and carbon-dioxide gas lines for experimental work
Elga Purelab Flex
- Filtered de-ionised water for cultured experiments
Eutech Instruments pH700 and Smart Chem pH
- pH meters for monitoring the acidity/alkalinity of cultured experiments
Fisher Scientific filtration vacuum pump
- For filter-sterilization of growth media
- Can be attached to a dessicator for the storage of 'sensitive' rock samples for SEM-EDS analysis (e.g. to prevent oxidation of polished block or thin sections containing metal suphides)
VWR International Eppendorf Mini-spin Plus
Eppendorf 5424R centrifuge
- For particle separation
Grant QBD1 heating block
- Used for incubating samples at various stages of DNA extraction
- For culturing experiments
- 2 small incubators set at 25°C and 30°C
- 1 medium ThermoScientific Hybaid Shake 'n' Stack incubator
- 1 large MaxQ 6000 incubator
Air Science LF-Series Laminar flow cabinet
- Laminar flow bench for protecting samples from contamination during culturing
- Fitted with a UV light for sterilisation
WiseMix VM-10 Vortex
- For mixing solutions
- For sterilising equipment for culturing experiments and the disposal of organisms
Conviron Adaptis CMP6010 growth chamber
- Growth chamber with lamp to simulate environmental conditions (light and temperature) required for microbial growth
Thermoline Scientific shaker table
- For organisms that require agitation of the culturing medium