Our researchers, academics and students have access to some of Australia's premier marine science field stations and their equipment.
Our field stations are located at:
- Heron Island, on the Great Barrier Reef
- the Low Isles
- North Stradbroke Island, in Moreton Bay.
Located at Heron island, our Research Vessel D Hill (RV D Hill) allows us to collect and analyse shallow core samples from dead reef rock in the southern Great Barrier Reef.
Our experts use the purpose-built vessel to improve our understanding of the ecology and geology of the reef system.
Find out more about the RV D Hill.
Our modern and well maintained field equipment includes:
- boats and vehicles
- field and surveying equipment, including total stations, rafts, RTK-DGPS, automatic samplers and loggers
- climate station and portable weather stations
- a comprehensive suite of scientific instrumentation enabling the collection of a wide range of in situ hydrological, atmospheric and climatological data, including:
- ground penetrating radar
- ceilometers (for measuring cloud fields and atmospheric boundary layer structure)
- eddy covariance systems
- acoustic sounders
- micro-rain radar
- automatic weather stations
- kite and blimp sounding systems
- radiosonde systems
- an extensive range of ancillary meteorological sensors
- tape measures
- quadrats and survey equipment
- GPS units (Garmin ETrex), including differential correcting (DGPS) units and GPS loggers for tracking
- animal traps
- field water-quality meters
- ruggedised laptops
- camping equipment
- portable fridges and freezers
- video and stills cameras, including zoom lenses.
Hire our equipment
Most of our equipment is available for hire to staff and research higher degree students. We can provide training for our more complex items.
Email us to find out more about equipment hire.