Environment students work with WWF on river health

21 November 2017

Bachelor of Environmental Management students recently put their studies into practise in Wuhan, China, working with the World Wild Fund for Nature (WWF) to improve the health of the Yangtze River. Three students shared their experiences with us.

Read the full article here.

Dylan Johnston

Unsure of what direction I wanted to pursue for my industry placement course, I was informed at a networking event of the opportunity to undertake my placement in China with aid from the New Colombo Plan Mobility Program. At first, I saw this as yet another one of those amazing opportunities UQ advertises all the time, where you think, “Wow, that would be an incredible experience”, but end up not doing anything about it. However, I soon realised that I simply could not leave this chance begging, and so I applied.

Natalie Mason

A scenic cruise up the majestic Xiling Gorge offered a momentary escape from the hustle of city life in Wuhan. Accompanied by our translator and colleague from WWF, Polly, we made our way up the Yangtze River to one of China’s most renowned engineering projects.

Harry James

My experiences studying environmental management at UQ have ranged from the unexpected to the simply unreal. Still, I never could have dreamt that in Semester 2 of 2017, I would undertake three months of industry placement in a bustling provincial hub in China, working with the world’s largest conservation organisation, WWF. Yet with funding from the New Colombo Plan Mobility Program, I soon found myself in Wuhan, a city in the heart of the Yangtze River Basin, diving head first into one of China’s most pressing environmental issues: river health.